Friday, March 19, 2010

My first Android port: Android for AT91SAM9G20

I wanted to learn more about Android internals and what better way than to try and boot it on a new microcontroller.

Since I had an AT91SAM9G20 evaluation kit I started working on that and booting Android was actually quite easy after I had gotten the hang of how Android works.

If you want to boot Android on an AT91SAM9G20 I have assembled a short guide to help you. I have divided it into 3 steps:
1) Booting AT91SAM9G20-EK
How to install software and boot the AT91SAM9G20 evaluation kit using binary images available at at91.com

2) Building AT91SAM9G20-EK Android
How to download the official Android code, patch the AT91SAM9G20 specific parts and finally build both kernel and file system

3) Booting AT91SAM9G20-EK Android
How to use the generated kernal and file systems to boot Android both on top of the generic at91 system and as a fully self-contained Android.

I hope this guide will help you in booting Android on your AT91SAM9G20. If you have any trouble getting it to work please feel free to drop a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment